Community Engagement Manager
Hope and Comfort Inc.
Overview of Hope and Comfort
Hope and Comfort (H&C) is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization founded in 2011. Our mission is to distribute basic hygiene items to support and improve the health, self-esteem, and hygiene education of school-aged children and young adults across Greater Boston.
Our organization is poised for significant expansion and even greater impact in the coming years. H&C has distributed nearly 1 million hygiene products since our founding, and will distribute another 1 million hygiene products in 2020 alone. We engage nearly 700 volunteers (and counting!) annually, and have a social media audience of over 5,000 followers. We also moved into a 5,000 sq. ft. facility in Needham, MA in late 2018 to house our growing operations. We are excited to expand our team through the addition of a Community Engagement Manager, as our work to eliminate hygiene insecurity continues to grow rapidly.
Roles and Responsibilities
Community Engagement (70%)
• Lead, manage, and optimize H&C’s high-impact volunteer initiatives and related special events for youth, families, interns, corporations, and other community groups – both at H&C and throughout the Greater Boston community.
• Craft the H&C volunteer experience with a keen eye towards ROI, aligning our engagement strategy with high-level fundraising plans and H&C’s overall organizational strategy.
• Lead the end-to-end development, coordination, planning, facilitation, execution, logistics, tracking, curriculum development, communications, volunteer/donor stewardship, and followup from volunteer events and other community engagement opportunities.
• Act as the key point of contact, host, and supervisor for H&C visitors and incoming volunteers – including one-time volunteer groups, community hygiene product drive efforts, and core volunteer/intern experiences on an ongoing basis.
Communications and Marketing (30%)
• Create and maintain high-value communications and digital content to enhance H&C’s marketing, outreach, engagement, and overall visibility.
• Lead on-site visitors and tours; field community inquiries in person, via phone, and via email; nurture community relationships with institutions and individuals; and develop strategies for enhanced visibility and brand recognition (including through PR/media opportunities).
• Manage H&C’s social media platforms (including strategy, content creation, and social media-based interactions), quarterly e-newsletter, and website maintenance (including blogging).
• Provide communication and marketing support for fundraising efforts and awareness initiatives through the creation of related collateral and digital content.
Skills and Qualifications
• At least three years of full-time experience in a mission-driven/non-profit role. Knowledge of the Greater Boston nonprofit and philanthropy landscape is a plus.
• Strong ability to represent the organization in a persuasive and compelling manner, maintaining utmost professionalism and integrity in a wide variety of both formal and informal settings, thinking on one’s feet and improvising, educating on complex social justice-related themes, and devising creative engagement strategies/activities that are unique and high-impact.
• Superb verbal and written communication skills, with attention to detail. Experienced presentation and public speaking skills.
• Candidates with youth development, intern/volunteer supervision, and external-facing program management experience in entrepreneurial settings are strongly preferred.
• Fluency with standard IT and online platforms (including Microsoft Office Suite and G Suite); social media (Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter), and basic web/graphic design skills (may include Canva, iMovie, Adobe Photoshop, WordPress, etc).
• Ability to work effectively and creatively, while supervising various volunteer roles and managing multiple tasks and deadlines. Ability to coach, lead, and inspire a range of audiences and age groups. Willingness to work independently and in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial team environment.
• Flexibility to participate in service and community events, special gatherings, and strategic Board/volunteer meetings on weekends and/or weekday evenings. (Note: H&C offers a flexible work schedule to accommodate for after-hours commitments.)
• An investment in H&C’s mission and future growth, with an authentic understanding that social justice work requires flexibility, teamwork, a sense of humor, positivity, and a willingness to wear many hats.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time, salaried role with benefits. Salary will be commensurate with experience. H&C offers generous benefits, including health/dental insurance reimbursement, matching retirement savings, and paid time off (holidays, vacation/personal days, and health/sick time).
How To Apply
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to Jesse Mattleman, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please make the subject of your email “Your First Name and Last Name – Community Engagement Manager.” No phone calls please.
Hope and Comfort is an equal opportunity employer and organization. We are committed to a culture of diversity and inclusion, where all of our stakeholders’ identities are valued and respected. Hope and Comfort does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, age, sex, handicap, religion, national origin, marital status, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.