Executive Director Job Description
Hope and Comfort Inc.
ABOUT OUR ORGANIZATION
Founded in 2011, Hope and Comfort’s mission is to provide essential hygiene products to support and improve the health, self-esteem and hygiene education of school-aged children and young adults in need within Greater Boston. Hope and Comfort is the only nonprofit in Greater Boston solely dedicated to collecting and distributing full-size essential hygiene products including soap, toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo and deodorant. As a small and rapidly growing nonprofit, our revenues reflect a combination of in-kind and monetary donations. Hope and Comfort now employs one full-time Operations and Community Outreach Manager and has a 2,000 square-foot sorting and packing facility in Newton where it distributes thousands of items each month. Since its founding, Hope and Comfort has given away over 280,000 items, including more than 165,000 in 2016, delivering on the core belief that no child or adult should have to wake up in the morning and go through the day worried about their health, appearance or odor because they cannot afford a simple bar of soap.
The Executive Director (ED), a new position for Hope and Comfort, will report to the President and Chairman of the Board, Jeff Feingold. The ED will collaborate with the President, the Operations and Community Outreach Manager and the Board of Directors to implement the recently completed three-year CY 2017–CY 2019 strategic plan and lead the transformation of Hope and Comfort from its current stage to a more mature organization capable of delivering on its long-term vision.
The Hope and Comfort ED position will focus heavily on fundraising, both monetary and securing in-kind donations, and we are looking to hire a senior manager/executive with demonstrated fundraising success who would relish the opportunity to join a small, rapidly growing, mission-driven and entrepreneurial nonprofit with a passionate and engaged leadership team committed to significantly increasing its impact.
The salary will be competitive with those paid for similar positions at medium to large-size nonprofit organizations.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Fundraising and Communications
- Design and execute a comprehensive development strategy for a recently launched three-year fundraising campaign that also meets objectives to expand donated in-kind products
- Assist President’s efforts to grow current fundraising dollars from existing and new relationships, and increase Hope and Comfort’s fundraising reach by generating their own individual, corporate and foundation donor base
- Leverage, build and strengthen existing and new relationships with current and potential strategic partners in all areas of our business that are essential to our short- and long-term growth and business model, including sourcing (manufacturers, retailers, and wholesalers of product), logistics and supply chain, distribution partners, technology and nonprofit and for-profit community and business leaders
- Create and implement a strategy for securing grants; write proposals
- Create and pilot a signature fundraising event for the organization
- Lead an initiative to create a brand messaging strategy and campaign for Hope and Comfort that will position the organization as the leader and advocate for addressing the critical but largely unmet need for hygiene products for those in need in the Greater Boston area; communicate that message consistently across all channels and with all constituencies; launch campaign with a redesigned website
- Be the day-to-day face of the organization and represent Hope and Comfort at community presentations, volunteer events, site visits for grant applications, donor meetings, etc.
Strategic Vision and Leadership
- Collaborate with the President and the Board to refine and implement the three-year strategic plan, while ensuring alignment with Hope and Comfort’s mission and ongoing programmatic excellence
- Actively engage and energize Hope and Comfort’s partner organizations, volunteers, board members, event committees, and funders
- In partnership with the President, cultivate a strong and transparent working relationship with the Board; help build a diverse and inclusive Board that is highly engaged and willing to leverage and secure resources
Strengthening Operations, Systems and Measurement
- Create and promote a positive work environment that motivates staff, and improve upon current systems while also developing new and advanced ones to ensure best-in-class systems within all areas of operations
- Support efforts to assess our impact on target audience behavior change and identify means to test other ideas to better understand how to maximize our impact
- Minimum of an undergraduate degree, ideally with a masters or other advanced degree
- Proven success as a fundraiser; significant experience running large and successful capital and annual campaigns; success fundraising from multiple donor channels, including individuals, corporations and foundations; experience soliciting in-kind donations, particularly in the healthcare area, a plus
- Effectively led an outcomes-based organization and/or program with management responsibilities
- Strategic thinker, ideally with experience contributing to a strategic plan
- Past success working with a board of directors and the ability to cultivate existing and new board member relationships
- Strong marketing and public relations experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures
- Outstanding communication skills, written and verbal, and the experience and proclivity to be an outgoing and passionate spokesperson, relationship builder and fundraiser
- Ability to set clear priorities, coach staff, and manage a budget
- Commitment to data-driven program evaluation
- Integrity, mission-driven, entrepreneurial, action-oriented, positive attitude, collaborative team player, and self-directed
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to Careers@HopeandComfort.org
We regret that we cannot take phone calls regarding this position. Hope and Comfort is an Equal Opportunity Employer.